Monday, March 2, 2009

Headstart


Saturday Linda and I went to Marshall's Feed - a new store in town - and bought some plants for our garden: Tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs. It's a bit too cold to plant them outside just yet; so, I have them under a florescent light along with some seeds we planted: Beans (pole and bush), squash, watermelon, okra, & peppers. I just wish I had planted the seeds a couple of weeks ago.

A cold front moved through the area this last weekend - got down into the upper 20's at night. I checked the garden this morning - and all of the plants seem to have fared OK. The red lettuce looks a little wilted - but not too much, and I'm sure it will bounce back once it gets a little warmer. Our average last frost date is mid-March; so, (according to the weather forecaster I was watching) this may be our last freeze of the season.

4 comments:

  1. I would just like to say that I'm horribly jealous. Last frost for us is Mother's Day or the end of May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I'm content to live South of the Mason-Dixon line :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that extend past the Rockies? If so, I'll have to move there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a house just down the street from me that's for sale. Older neighborhood on a 1 acre lot with a huge backyard (perfect for a vegetable garden) :)

    ReplyDelete