Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Organic pest control

Garden pests can be a big problem in a vegetable garden. In the rest of my yard, I have enough diversity that having a few chewed leaves here and there isn't really much of a problem. So, I've learned to live in peaceful co-existance with most bugs and other critters (snakes, lizards, etc.) - with fireants being the notable exception

But, a vegetable garden is different. For one thing, there is a concentration of plants in a relatively small area. Also, if the plants are edible for people - that means that bugs and birds like them too. I remember once, a number of years ago (before we moved into the home we currently live in), we had planted some squash plants. Some squash beatles found them and, almost overnight, chewed them down to the ground.

So, here is my plan for organic pest control

Citrus oil - according to Howard Garret (an organic texas gardener who has several books and a radio show), you soak orange, and other citrus, peels in water for a week, strain, then dilute this with water to spray on the follage to discourage garden pests. I've done this. I was concerned about the citrus oil solution molding; so, I've frozen it in 1/2 C quantities - which is the amount to dilute in 1 gallon of water.

Dead bug juice - another idea Howard suggested. If there is a particular insect you are having a problem with, collect some in a container and let them dry out. Then stick them in a blender with some water and strain - and use this as a spray (we have an old blender which will be pressed into service). I don't know how this works - but, evidently, dead bug juice discourages bugs. But, they have to be of the same variety. That is, use dead squash beatles to treat squash beatles, dead tomato worms to treat tomato worms, etc.

This is where our good ol Texas sunshine will become an asset. I figure, a plastic wide mouthed container, with holes punched in the top, used to collect bugs off of the plants - they should dry out in no time sitting out in the sun. And, if that particular bug starts to become a problem, I can use their dried brothers and sisters to make dead bug juice. So, now I'm saving plastic containers that look like they might be useful for my dead bug collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment