Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vegetable garden nearing completion


I've embarked on a major project this winter to build raised beds for a vegetable garden. What with the economy and all - this could become my sole source of sustenance.

Problem is, with a swimming pool and 2 decks in the back, there really isn't any room for a vegetable garden in the back yard. Plus, whatever space that might be available has too much shade.. So, I've decided to put the vegetable garden in the front yard. But, vegetable gardens aren't always the most attractive feature in a yard; so, I'm trying to make it look nice. I've built raised beds in geometric shapes, intended to be reminiscent of an english garden. Good thing I don't live in Southlake, or in one of them gated communities with strict codes.

On the Northern edge is a long garden where I intend to plant blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry plants. I'll be building a trellis to train the plants on - although, that will probably have to wait until next year. This year I'll probably plant tomatoes there.

There are two trees in the area already: A pomagranate and a jujube. Last summer I was paying close attention how the trees shade shifted throughout the day and designed the boxes to be mostly in the sun. I've reserved a space for a 3rd tree; but, I haven't quite decided on what yet. It will be something unusual, like a quince or a fig. I've also considered planting a peach tree on the other side of the fence, near the swimming pool.

When all is complete, I'll have 400 square feet of planting area. I've filled the beds with soil from around the yard where I've been doing other digging and contouring; but, I'll need to buy some top soil to finish filling the beds. I'll be using drip irrigation on the entire garden with each planting box on a separate drip circuit. I'm also considering some sort of water feature and possibly some statuary.

One of the beds has already been planted with some winter crops, namely
onions (texas sweet)
radishes
turnips
beets
spinich
lettuce (green leaf, red leaf, and bibb)
broccoli
swiss chard
As the weather warms, these crops will die out and will be replaced with summer vegetables, such as
squash
okra
As the other beds are finished, I will be planting
beans (pole and bush)
peppers (both sweet and hot)
tomatoes (multiple varieties)
watermelon
other melons
popcorn
cucumber
eggplant
Many of these we already have the seeds for. I ordered them from a woman who sells heritage seeds. So, we're just waiting for the weather to warm up.

One of the beds (the one closest to the kitchen) will be reserved as an herb garden. In it I want to plant perennials like
sage
oregano (both regular and Mexican)
thyme
chives
I'll also have room for annuals, like
basil
cilantro
dill
parsley
tarragon
I'll also have Rosemary in a nearby flower garden; plus, we have a bay laurel tree near the front door. In the back yard I already have mint growing. I would also like to plant asparagus - which is a perennial. But, I don't think I'll have a bed prepared in time this year.

What I have left is to dig trenches for water lines to each bed for the drip irrigation system and to fill in between the beds. One of my challanges is figuring out what to put around the raised beds (for weed control). Essentially, my choices are

Grass - this would be the easiest since that what wants to grow there - but it would be far too labor intensive having to mow around the raised beds. Also, after a rain, it would be muddy to kneel on when working in the garden. Also, it's questionable how much grass would actually grow compared to weeds.

Pea gravel - this was my original plan since it would provide an inhospital enviornment for weeds. I also think it would look the nicest. However, I've been having second thoughts since pea gravel would be hot in the summer and not be very comfortable to kneel on when working in the garden.

Mulch - I'm concerned that mulch, over time, would promote weed growth. I can put landscape fabric down underneath; but, that would only be effective for the first year or two. Also, new mulch would have to be added each year. Additionally, I'm using mulch in the adjacent flower beds; so, it might be confusing where to walk and where to avoid.

Rubber mulch - this is made from ground tires and comes in a variety of colors. It has the advantage of pea gravel in that it would provide an inhospital enviornment for weeds; but, it seems like it would be more like mulch to kneel on. Problem is - it's very expensive. A 40# bag is $9 - and I'd probably need close to 100 bags. I might be able buy it in bulk - but it would still probably be 3 or 4 times the cost of pea gravel or mulch.

Right now I'm leaning towards mulch. I'll need to order 2 or 3 yards of top soil to finish filling the raised beds; so, it would be an easy matter to order some mulch to be delivered with it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to convince my mother to do pea gravel -- we're going to build a pergola for that area, so it will be shaded and not get so hot. At least -- that's what we're trying for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my big concerns with pea gravel is not just the heat (although, here in Texas, that is a BIG factor). But, I will be kneeling next to the raised beds when working in them - and kneeling on pea gravel isn't too comfortable. If, of course, I could get knee pads - but that just makes gardening all that more complicated.

    Now, if it were an area that would be primarily used for walking then pea gravel would be the way to go - IMOHO. I could be augmented with decorative stepping stones. Weeds may still find their way - but they do not thrive and are much easier to control.

    So, for now, I'm leaning towards mulch.

    ReplyDelete